Kelsey Grant is passionate about living in a world where people feel inspired, fulfilled, balanced and happy within the expansiveness of their intimate relationships.
As a Love and Relationship Educator rooted in Radical Self Love Methodology, she writes, speaks and teaches men and women the art of accessing greater alignment with love.
Her love and relationship education platform provides live events, online self-study programs, online group classes and retreats, all designed to teach the art of uncrossing the wires of understanding between men and women, so legendary love, healthy relationships and sustainable partnership become possible again in this disconnected digital age.
In addition to her commitment to love and relationships, her passion for producing epic high level events runs deep. She is the producer and event director for MOTU Summit and her flagship day training Get the Love Worth Having, and her previous producing credits include Awesomeness Fest and Mantalks.
Q&A WITH KELSEY GRANT
Tell us about yourself…
I am a lover of love. A business owner. Teacher. Author. Musician and a passionate woman obsessed with love, relationships and partnership. Within my business the hats I wear are content creator, teacher, educator, coach, speaker. Within my community the hat I primarily wear is mamma bear. My tribe lovingly refers to me as the oracle, for my heart centered aligned guidance and because I am the keeper of everyone’s deepest truths. It is such an honor to have this role in my social circle (and business).
As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Haha, oh so many things. A veterinarian, dentist (both “dreams” didn’t last long), broadway performer, at one point I wanted to be a pop star like MJ or country star like Shania Twain.
What core values do you bring from your personal life to your business?
To me there is no real difference between my personal life and business in regards to the values I operate from. My business is an extension of me and who I am. The primary values I opperate from are love, integrity, honesty, transparency, creativity, playfulness and a healthy sprinkle of sassy brilliance.
If you were given 5 more hours in a day what would you do with them?
If I had five extra hours added into my days I would use that time for soulful play, connection and enjoyment with people I adore most. I already get a solid amount of time doing this daily, but more time for play and enjoyment will always top my priority list.
KELSEY ON BALANCE
This is a forever work in progress (because I’m constantly evolving and changing and as I do so does my relationship and understanding of balance). It took me many years of trial and error to really find my groove. It honestly came down to knowing myself. I believe it’s pretty challenging to find balance when you don’t even know who you are at the core, what you stand for and what’s most important to your heart. Balance naturally emerges when I’m living from a place of being connected to purpose, heart centered values and expressing my heart’s truest desires.
I also prioritize a couple high impact actions daily that are non-negotiable:
1. High quality sleep (8hrs)
2. Hydration (loads of clean water)
3. Intuitively move my body/honor its need for movement
(some days this is a long walk, others it’s the gym, yoga, or some light stretching, but movement is a must).
(I have a lot of creative energy in my mental constitution and when I invest into learning something new each day, that creative energy is channeled in a productive way).
6. Be of service.
It’s the best way I stay in alignment. Supporting others doesn’t have to be a huge production. Being of service literally can mean smiling at a stranger reminding them they are seen and they matter.
7. Some form of mindfulness check in.
Whether this is meditation, journaling, gratitude writing- having time and space to connect back in with my soul is non-negotiable.
8. High vibe food.
What I put into my body reflects what I get out of it, so I make sure daily I have at least two super healthy meals of greens/high vibing ingredients, and then I give myself permission to still honor my desires for other foods, which ensures I consume what I need and not over do it.
9. Honor my desires, fun and pleasure.
The more sweet my life is, the more balanced I am over all.
ALL ABOUT KELSEY’S BUSINESS
At what point in your life did you find an interest in education on Love & relationships?
It started to shake out when I was in University, I had a strong pull towards psychology and human dynamics. It wasn’t until I moved to Vancouver in 2009 that it occurred to me to channel this passion into a business (thanks to my amazing life coach at the time).
How would you describe your brand to those who are being introduced to it for the first time?
We’re an organization that helps men understand women better and women understand men better and we do this work from a place of open hearted love, fun and curiousness.
What has been your most memorable speaking engagement?
My most memorable speaking engagement just occurred at MOTU Summit a few weeks ago. It was a raw talk about my journey through heartbreak and the detailed process I had to go through to get to the other side brighter, stronger and even more inspired and trusting of love’s magic.
I also did a TedxWomen talk a few years ago and that was also very memorable for a very similar reason (I was speaking on a charged topic of infidelity and healing).
What was the best compliment that you have ever received from a client?
That our work together not only saved her life, but brought her back to life in a way that she had never felt before. She could finally embrace her unique brilliance as a woman, find happiness and ease with her feminine (instead of being at war with herself and her feminine), understand her husband, open herself up to comfortably receiving love not only from her husband but all the other people in her life that she holds precious and that for the first time in her life she was able find an elevated and expanded understanding of her purpose in the world and take action to follow the desires of her heart in a way that harmonized with her life, family and relationship. She said the extended healing work we did together saved her own life, marriage and family from the brink of complete destruction. The acknowledgement of how our work together has impacted her children and their future left such a powerful imprint on my heart.
Also in the last 2 weeks I’ve been compared to Oprah, her level of impact and success which is incredibly flattering!
KELSEY’S 3 STEPS FOR SELF-LOVE
1.Be very mindful of what you say yes to, and above all else keep the small daily promises you make to yourself. These promises are the foundation of your integrity and ability to trust yourself. Keep your word to yourself (which helps you keep your promises to others too).
2. Pick one self-care thing to do each day that nourishes your mind, body, heart and soul. Feel free to change it up every day, doing so tunes you into your feminine essence and allows you to get to know your day to day needs.
3. Prioritize high quality sleep. Self-loving tips aren’t effective if you’re frazzled, burnt out and over-extended. Women have a very intimate relationship with sleep and their energy cycles. Honor yourself by making sure you have enough sleep every night to start fresh. When you wake up rested, refreshed you’ll naturally make more self-loving and self-caring choices in your day to day.
LIFE AS AN ENTREPRENEUR
What was the best business advice you were given?
I’ll paraphrase some of the best advice given by my mentors:
If it doesn’t make you happy don’t do it. Create from a place of fullness and alignment. The most powerful businesses are focused on impact above all else. Focus on leaving a positive impact and the money will follow naturally. Don’t inflate your “worth” before you’ve done the work to build a consistent, powerful reputation. It’s worth taking the time to build intentionally so your foundation is strong and you have the mental, emotional and physical bandwidth personally and professionally to maintain integrity of the brand as you grow and expand. In other words there are no short cuts. Do the work. Show up fully. And be patient in the unfolding so the depth of your success leaves an imprint of powerful impact long after you’re gone.
What does success mean to you?
Happiness, fulfillment and knowing deep in my heart I have left people better off for having any form of interaction with me. Personally or professionally.
What tools have helped you along the way as an entrepreneur?
I was very lucky when I started, I found myself in a crew of people who were all entrepreneurs and who were established already. Learning from them was the best thing for my growth as a business owner. If it came down to a couple tools I would say:
1. Develop an insatiable curiosity about businesses in your industry and how they work. You need to understand how an entire business runs not just the “fun bits” you likely are most drawn to. So study, learn, observe, watch the leading people in your industry. Also, don’t badger business owners to give you “free advice or mentorship” instead do the work to study their brand and find a way to contribute value to them before you ask them for anything. This illustrates a fundamental understanding of the flow of abundance and service and puts you in the flow of giving instead of the gross energy of grabbing or getting (which any aligned business owner can sniff out a mile away and will avoid). If you can, intern with businesses like the one you want to build, and study, observe research while in the business. The information is out there if you’re willing to invest the time and energy. Invest the time and energy.
2. In terms of tangible tools, I’m a kinesthetic learner so I need a paper agenda to keep everything straight. I get overwhelmed with technology (yes the irony of running an online business isn’t lost on me haha) and so I make sure to schedule everything in my paper planner. Some people say it’s inefficient and I just don’t care what they think. I do what works for me. Writing down my appointments, to-do lists and mindmaps frees me up mentally and emotionally to give my best.
3. Also, a heavy dose of personal development is an essential tool for any business owner. Dealing with your own “stuff” will help you in ways that are unimaginable when it comes to communications, sales, marketing, brand congruency, organization within your business. Every area of your business is impacted by YOU. Your business can only grow to the degree you do. So learn, dive into your own inner work. Deal with the things you’re avoiding. Heal your heart so there is room for the brilliance of your vision to come to life in all its powerful glory. Plus when you do your work and heal the likelihood of being taken out by sabotage seriously minimizes, since sabotage is unhealed pain trying to make its way out.
(There are plenty of creative ways to do this, not having money to do inner work isn’t an acceptable excuse).
What key traits do you look for in partnerships for your business? How do you know when it’s a good idea to partner with someone?
I do everything based on my gut. My intuition is sharp and within moments of meeting someone I know if it’s aligned or not based on how I feel around them.
From there if I get the yes from my gut, I then go into sussing out further alignment in terms of vision, intentions, strengths. Some of these qualities are:
Integrity (do they do what they say they are going to do when they say they’re going to do it?)
Honesty (can they tell me their truth even if it’s something that I might not like?)
Relationship to Details (do they glaze over important details or are those foundational details of value to them?)
How healed are they? (Do they do their inner work, or do they avoid their inner work and project all their crap onto others)
What is their conflict style? (Do they have the relational skills to resolve conflict respectfully or are they a loose cannon of repressed emotion?)
How aligned is this partnership professionally? (I’m not going to partner with someone unless it’s equally beneficial to both parties in terms of profit, brand expansion and growth)
How aligned is this partnership personally? (Do I fundamentally like this person? Business relationships are not much different than marriages especially when we’re looking at longer term partnerships. I don’t recommend jumping into a business partnership before you take time to know who that person is. You wouldn’t marry a guy (or gal) after date number one, and in business it’s no different. Be smart. There is no rush. If something feels off it is. Trust that).
If those areas align and it’s still feeling like a full hearted YES I roll with it.
What advice do you have for the young girls who aspire to be an entrepreneur one day?
Do it. Absolutely do it. The worst that happens is it doesn’t work out and you find something more aligned in the process. The best that happens is you live your dream and give something to the world only you can.
Keep that fire of passion, purpose and heart centered knowing burning babes. There will be so many people who tell you you can’t do what your heart knows you must. Surround yourself with people who encourage your dreams. There is a difference between someone who gives you effective feedback to support you in leveling up into your vision and someone who pours water all over the flames of your dreams. Pay attention to this distinction, not everyone will be a fan of you rising, and that’s ok. Rise anyway.
Do your inner work so your relationship with your intuition is strong and sharp. If you don’t heal over pain from your past it’s going to interfere in your ability to trust your gut and tune into your intuition- and as a woman your intuition is so key in doing business from a place that honors your feminine energy.
Honor your feminine energy. Rest when you need to rest. Blaze ahead when you have the energy and inspiration.
Act from a place of aligned inspired action instead of grinding upstream- which means you’re going to have to make time to have fun, laugh, and enjoy your life while building out your business.
You, beautiful one, can 100%, absolutely, full heartedly do what your heart is calling you to do. Believe in yourself. I absolutely do. Rise, beauty rise.
Connect with Kelsey